Monday, March 7, 2011

Wondering tonight after class what to write for my first "real" blog post.  I'm not sure how to introduce myself.  I think that one of the best indications of who a person is (how their soul works inside of them) is to look at the music they listen to....it really does say a lot about someone.  I love music and love how it transforms a simple life into something striking, and memorable, and just beautiful.  It can define you and your personal journey in a way that is hard to explain, even when it's so vivid in your own mind.

So, I'll get to my point.  James Taylor is my point.  



A couple of months ago I was talking to a manager at work about music and I tried to express the love I have for James Taylor's music.  He didn't get it.  He kind of thought it was white bread or something.  He was like "oh yeah, Fire and Rain, right?"  I wanted to shake him! Because I knew he'd never heard Knocking Around the Zoo or really listened to Copperline.

Something about James Taylor feels like home to me.  It is home to me.  My mom had a bunch of his records in college and has given them to me.  I remember her playing his CDs in the car when I was a kid and seeing her sort of go somewhere I just didn't know.  Once we were listening to Fire and Rain--the one everyone over plays on mix CDs of singer-songwriter hits of the 70s and completely misinterprets--and she told me she wished she could write a song to get the pain out like he did.  I knew exactly what she meant.  So you could say his music is my soundtrack, and completely my sentiment.  I am better with it than without it.  It makes me happy even when I'm sad...or maybe it just makes me feel more comfortable in my sadness.  His music is kind, and groovy, and smart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment